Friday, April 23, 2010

First Line Friday


Today is First Line Friday! I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

"The most magical thing happened on the morning of my grandmother's wedding in Tuscany. It snowed."
Brava Valentine
Adriana Trigiani


Okay, so I cheated a little... I included the second line. I think it just flows with the first line.

This novel has been sitting in my TBR pile for quite a while. I really need to read it but, as you well know, other books sometimes are read before TBR books. We were talking about Lucia, Lucia in my email loop so I thought I'd read the first line of Brava Valentine for First Line Friday.


I used my new bag again today. I don't normally carry the same bag two days in a row, but since I hardly used it yesterday, I wanted to use it again.

M had play rehearsal today as there was no school. The sixth graders are putting on The Pirates of Penzance next week. She has two parts so she had to be at both the morning and afternoon rehearsals. She is a daughter on Monday night and a pirate on Wednesday. She loves acting and, as her middle school electives next year, she's taking Musical Theater and Vocal Music.

1 comment:

Karen in Texas said...

I definitely want to find that Trigiani book. The first two lines are awesome Kathy. You've led me to some amazing books to read and I'm not about stop reading your recommendations now. LOL. I wish our schools offered drama/music more than they do. I think the high school has a one act play for one semester every year. That's not enough if you ask me but being in 4H country its at least something I guess. I hope M does really well with the play too. Break a leg M!!