Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Waiting on... & Jacqueline Winspear




I received an email today that This Body of Death by Elizabeth George will be released on April 20. I'm sure I've said it before but Elizabeth George transcends the mystery genre. There is nothing about her novels that is not perfect! The only thing that is not perfect is that, as of right now, she hasn't scheduled a signing here. I'm sure that will change as she has visited Denver every time she's brought out a new Lynley mystery. My friend, L, and I were talking about that tonight. She and I were at Jacqueline Winspear's signing (more about that later) and already making plans to see her. We've seen her two or three times and will always see her. The last time we saw her, for Careless in Red, she was very intrigued with L's name as she signed her book. L's name is extremely unique... I had never heard of it before I met her. Elizabeth said she loved it so much that she might use it in a novel some day. How cool is that? Can you imagine reading a novel and seeing your name? Not just your name but knowing that it is there because you met the author and she used the name because she met you!

L and I saw Jacqueline Winspear tonight. Her latest Maisie Dobbs mystery was recently published. We've seen her several times, as well... do you see a pattern in our friendship? She told the story of how the book, The Mapping of Love and Death, came to be. I told L, on the drive home, that I was going to start it tonight. So, why am I not reading it tonight? Because I'm a wonderful daughter, that's why. Are you following that? Because of the signing and that J was working, my Mom took J (the son, not the husband) to his ortho appointment. I love my Mom! So, when I picked J & M up, I gave my Mom the book to read first. She's not a huge mystery fan but she came with us a few years ago to another Jacqueline Winspear signing. She has since read all the Maisie Dobbs books. As kind of a thank you for taking J to his appointment, I'm letting her read the book first. Hopefully, she'll read it quickly because I'm excited to read it, too.

L carried a brown Coach satchel tonight. She has an amazing sense of style, not just with her purses but all her outfits. She knows what looks good on her.

I carried my Vera Wang black satchel. It has gold hardware that looked good with the black, white and tan shirt I wore. It was also big enough to put the Maisie Dobbs book in it.

No comments: