Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Interview with Carol K. Carr... Author of India Black~


I'd like to thank Carol K. Carr for graciously stopping by Bags, Books and Bon Jovi to answer some questions about reading, writing and, of course, India Black, her "Madam of Espionage"!


Who's India Black, you ask?!? Well, here's the blurb from her website...www.carolkcarr.com... "When Sir Archibald Latham of the War Office dies from a heart attack while visiting her brothel, Madam India Black is unexpectedly thrust into a deadly game between Russian and British agents who are seeking the military secrets Latham carried. Blackmailed into recovering the missing documents by the British spy known as French, India finds herself dodging Russian agents—and the attraction she starts to feel for her handsome conspirator."

~~ How did this story evolve? It's much more than a mystery... how do you describe it?

"I really struggled with the description of the book in my query letters to agents. India Black doesn't fit neatly into any particular genre. It has elements of historical fiction, romance, espionage, and comedy. I eventually settled on calling it an old-fashioned adventure, with episodes of derring-do and comic interludes. That's as close as I could get to a description, though it's since been called a "romp" and a "caper," which are both good words for it."

~~ Why India Black? What is it about her that made her become your main character? Why did you choose a first person narrative?

"I like characters who are a little cheeky, sometimes snarky, and very sure of themselves, provided that they are blissfully unaware of their character flaws, and the author has fun with that. I wanted to create a character who was brave, resilient, adventurous, cynical, and, sometimes, just a little too impetuous for her own good. We should smile at India's foibles, but be rooting for her all the way. In some ways, India is my alter ego, although in an exaggerated sense. She says and does the things that I'd say or do if I weren't afraid of shocking my mother, or getting run through by a sword or shot by a Russian spy. We share a dislike of hypocritical authorities and do-gooders determined to help whether or not their assistance is needed. I never considered writing from the third person point of view with India. From the moment she sprang into my mind, I knew she must tell the story in her own words (and if we shared some personality traits, that just made it easier to express her point of view)."

~~ Describe your thoughts the first time you saw the actual physical book. Also, the first time you saw it in a bookstore.

"As you know, the first thing you receive from the publisher is the ARC (the author's review copy), which is an actual book with the actual cover, though printed on a different paper stock, and the cover is subject to some minor changes. I received several copies of the ARC in the fall of 2010. I'm going to admit that I was expecting this to be a big thrill, and I was surprised that it felt a little anticlimactic. So was the the sight of the actual book on bookstore shelves (there I was, right next to Caleb Carr). But there's a reason I don't remember these two things as being a huge thrill and it's this: by the time the book was released, I'd already started to receive reviews online. Hearing from people who actually liked (and in some instances, loved) the book eclipsed every moment on the long journey to publication. Knowing that people like the book is so much more thrilling than finding an agent, or selling the book to a publisher, or seeing it in print for the first time. I suppose it's a confirmation that I really could write something that readers would enjoy. That is a wonderful feeling."

~~I love when fictional characters interact with historical figures as India did in this novel. Will there be other real-life people in India's future?

"Yes. She's going to encounter the Queen on her next outing. Of course, I love Disraeli and he will make several appearances. Gladstone will likely visit again (sadly, Dizzy died a few years after India met him, and Gladstone became prime minister). I intend to drop several historical figures into future tales. I love the eccentricity of the Victorian public figures. They are so much more interesting than our own."

~~ Speaking of India's future... what can you tell about future novels? Do you have a plan for the series?

"I've completed the second book in the series, India Black and the Widow of Windsor. I don't have a publication date yet, but I'd anticipate it will come out in 2012. India, French, and Vincent take a trip to the Scottish Highlands to protect Queen Victoria. As to whether there will be a third, that will depend on how well India Black sells (she's doing well at the moment). I don't like to be stressed about deadlines, so I've already developed the plot for the third book (and have ideas for 3-4 more)."

~~ What do you read? Fiction, non-fiction, mysteries, romances? Authors and titles, please!

"I am a history buff with an avid interest in Victorian England (naturally), British colonial history (especially east Africa and India), and the Middle East. I just finished the new bio of T.E. Lawrence by Michael Korda, which was excellent. I'm addicted to mysteries and have been since I first discovered my Grandma Pal's collection of Agatha Christie paperbacks. I love vintage mysteries (Josephine Tey, Christianna Brand, Dorothy Sayers and H.C. Bailey, among many others). I also love more current authors: Kate Atkinson (all the Jackson Brodie books), Phil Rickman (when, oh when, will the next Merrily Watkins novel be out?), Jim Kelly, Susan Hill, Julia Spencer-Fleming, Laurie R. King, Tana French, Christopher Fowler (the Bryant and May series), Charles Todd, Jacqueline Winspear. I didn't list all the titles, as I figured I could use my entire allotted space to do that, but I'll read just about anything by these authors."

~~ One of the latest "trends" in reading are eReaders. What are your thoughts on this new way to read? Does it bother you that, while someone might be reading and enjoying India Black on a eReader, it's kind of a private thing? By that I mean, the cover is "hidden". The reader is not "advertising" the book to other nosy (yes, that would be me!) readers who might start a conversation based on seeing the book being read.

"I bought an eReader last year, but I'm still addicted to physical books. I use the eReader for traveling, and I tend to download classics that I've wanted to read but would hate to carry around (and they're so inexpensive, it amazes me). Right now my eReader has Little Dorrit, The Complete Works of Arthur Conan Doyle, The Story of an African Farm, Orley Farm, and some other doorstops on it. I hadn't even thought about the disadavantage of the "coverless" book. I've recently seen a study which indicated that most mystery readers buy books based upon a recommendation from someone they know, or a librarian or book club. I think the study understates the effect of the internet and the blogging world, which I'll talk about in answer to your next question. So while I would love to see everyone carrying my book around, I think it matters more that I'm communicating with readers through the web or directly. A bigger issue for authors is how quickly an ebook can be pirated and made available for free on the web."

~What do you think of the book blog "phenomenon" and book bloggers, in general? What are your thoughts on regular people championing your novel and other readers, like me, learning about India Black through book blogs?

"I am now the world's biggest fan of book bloggers! As a debut author you do not have a large marketing budget. You'll get some limited assistance, but with hundreds of thousands of books being published each year, publishers have to choose how to spend their marketing dollars, and it's usually going to go to established authors with a track record. As a new author, you have to take responsibility for bringing your book to the attention of readers, and the very best way to do that is to find bloggers who are willing to review it. I have been overwhelmed by the generosity of bloggers who took time to review India Black, host guest blogs, do interviews, or conduct giveaways. I am sure that India would not be selling as well as she is without the buzz created by bloggers like you, and the others who have been so kind and generous with their time and praise."

~~ Because my blog is Bags, Books & Bon Jovi... I have to ask... what bag are you carrying today? What book are you reading today? And, last but, definitely, not least... are you a Bon Jovi fan? :D

"Mmm. I have to admit to owning only one purse, a black Coach bag that I've had for at least fifteen years. It's a classic, and I just keep giving it lots of love and attention. I had a brown one like it, but I lost it (along with my Coach briefcase) in a house fire three years ago. I'm a failure when it comes to accessorizing. I just keep it simple. I've worn the same watch for 30 years. It's just easier for me not to have to think about these things. There, my secret is out."

Again, thanks to Carol K. Carr for taking the time to answer my questions! I will post my thoughts about her first book in this new series tomorrow.

3 comments:

Karen in Texas said...

Fantastic interview Kathy. I really need to get this book. It sounds so intriguing and while I'm not so much into romance or mystery books I really think this "caper" would be a really good read. Besides, you've never steered me wrong when it comes to books recommended in your blog.

VandyJ said...

I just stumbled across your blog. Since I am on a quest to expand my reading possibilities I'm following now. Thanks for the recommendation for India Black. I'm going to check it out.

Kathy said...

Karen~
I'm so happy you like my recommendations.
VandyJ~
So happy you found me! I'll check out your blog!