Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner Review & Giveaway!


Did you read the great guest post from C.W. Gortner, the author of The Tudor Secret? I hope it piqued your interest.

I am so happy that this novel is the first in a series. I love series novels... knowing that I will be able to follow characters who intrigue me is one of my favorite things about reading! And Brendan is definitely intriguing!

Speaking of Brendan... I was interested to read how Mr. Gortner would write a male protagonist. The other books that I've read, The Confessions of Catherine de Medici (please read my review here... http://bagsbooksandbonjovi.blogspot.com/2010/06/confessions-of-catherine-demedici-by-cw.html) and The Last Queen were both told from a female perspective. You know how some authors are "one trick ponies" and when they venture out of their comfort zone, can have disappointing results. No worries here!! Brendan is a fully thought-out and well-written character... as are all who populate this book... both the truly historical characters as well as the ones written from the author's imagination.

Mr. Gortner's writing style just flows. He has made his novels effortless to read. I can focus on the plot and not get lost or bogged down in details. Yes, I appreciate details in my reading but when they overwhelm the plot, I tend to lose interest. The Tudor Secret is the perfect balance. I'm transported to a time and place that I don't know as much about as I probably should but I'm not so bombarded with details that my imagination is not engaged.

The Tudor Secret, while at its heart, is a great mystery... it is also an adventure story. I felt there was more "action" in this book as opposed to his previous novels. Don't misunderstand, though! Confessions and The Last Queen are not "staid" novels, by any stretch... but, they are more character driven. The Tudor Secret is about intrigue, espionage(such a great word!) and secrets of the English Court.

This novel is a a fast read... I read in very quickly... sometimes over my husband's suggestions to "please turn out the light". It's one of those books that I thought I could turn out the light at the end of the chapter but I'd, inevitably, sneak a peek at the first line (well, you know me and first lines...lol) of the next chapter. That, of course, turned into just a few more pages... okay, sometimes, it was just a few more chapters :D

Now... THE GIVEAWAY!!! MY FIRST GIVEAWAY!!!
I know you'd love to win a copy of The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner. He has graciously offered to personalize it, too.

To enter... just leave a comment with your name, email address and blog URL (if you have one. I love to read your blogs!)... But wait... there's more! I sound like an infomercial, don't I :D

It's a giveaway for The Tudor Secret... so, in your comment... tell me a secret! It doesn't have to earth-shattering or life-changing but something fun or maybe not quite so secret. Hmmmm... what could I mean... I could tell you that I finished what was left of a pint of Häagen-Dazs Coffee ice cream while watching Mike & Molly... but that would be a secret!

The contest begins when this post is published and will end on 2-22-11 at 11:59pm. A winner will be randomly chosen on 2-23-11 and notified by email.

~~Thanks to C.W. Gortner, Cheryl at http://www.pumpupyourbook.com/ and the publisher for providing a copy of The Tudor Secret in exchange for my honest & thoughtful review as well as a copy to give away.~~

16 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the great review, Kathy. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Having read this and Christopher's two other books, I have to admit I am very fond of his work.

Good luck to all who enter. You'll win a great book.

All my best,

Cheryl

C.W. Gortner said...

Thank you for your lively review and for hosting me on my blog tour. I hope your readers enjoy THE TUDOR SECRET and best of luck to all with the giveaway!

Anonymous said...

Hi, what a neat blog! I just signed on as Google follower. I read and really enjoyed Mr. Gortner's book, The Last Queen. I look forward to reading this one. Thanks for the giveaway.
lcbrower40(at)gmail(dot)com

Carol N Wong said...

I historical fiction and think I want to read all of Mr. Gortner's books. Please enter me in this contest.

My secret is that on a hot humid day, there is no way that I could stop eating lemon ice cream that has already melted around the edged of the carton. This is so bad that it could be any brand of lemon ice cream.


CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

♣ Terri said...

I'd love to read this so please enter me!
brnterri at gmail dot com

Andra Lyn said...

Well lets see...

I bought 3 things of chocolate yesterday...today there is only one left...hehehe

hense1kk AT cmich DOT edu

Amy (ArtsyBookishGal) said...

This sounds like a book my mom would really enjoy! She's into all that Tudor stuff...and she's getting me into it as well.

OK, a secret, I enjoy watching "Toddlers & Tiaras." I know, that's sick, right? But I mostly like when the kids act up, so that makes it a little better, right?

Amy // artsyrockerchick at aim dot com

A Musing Mother said...

1. Gortner is one of my favorite authors. His research is impeccable.

2. I'm going to Bon Jovi concert in March. Because I'm cool like that.

ntaylor228 at yahoo dot com

Book Flame said...

this book sounds awesome please enter me...okay secret I still enjoy reading children novels

sweetkarma212@gmail.com
blog is very brand new - bookflame.blogspot.com

Marcie said...

I love the Tudors! Please enter me in your contest. My secret is: I still sleep w/ a stuffed animal. Baloo from the Jungle Book.
marcie.turner@yahoo.com
http://2readornot2read-loves2read.blogspot.com

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

Since Showtime gave us the Tudors I been fascinated by Henry VIII and his wives. Always looking for a new read about them.

(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Ahh, love historical fiction about the Tudors, and this one sounds great. I'd love to enter, thanks! :)

My deep dark secret: I used to be afraid that if I didn't get out within 5 minutes of flushing the toilet, the "toilet monster" (I wasn't very creative) would reach out and grab me... I'm still a little scared of empty public bathrooms.

My Blog: http://booksatmidnight.blogspot.com

booksatmidnight(at)gmail(dot)com

Jo-Jo said...

I would love a chance to win this book Kathy!

Now for a secret? Well I do keep a box of Fire Roasted Tomato Triscuits in my car to snack on during my ride home....I know I need help!

joannelong74 AT gmail DOT com

Gwendolyn B. said...

What a fun way to run a contest! First, though, your review was terrific - I like the way you compared and contrasted THE TUDOR SECRET with Gortner's previous novels. This is not a secret, but I haven't read any of his work yet. (Really hoping to remedy that soon!)
My secret? Sometimes I get "stuck in traffic" just so I can keep listening to my audiobook. Don't tell!
geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com

VandyJ said...

I'm interested. My secret is that I love my boys and am sooo happy I don't have girls.
My email is vanleaathotmaildotcom and my blog is attached to my login.

Karen in Texas said...

I hope I didn't miss the deadline Kathy. Well I read every Sunday at www.postsecret.com. I think I'm secretly hoping I find a secret from one of my friends on there. I'd love to have the nerve to send in a secret there myself. Here's my blog link.

http://karenintx.blogspot.com/