
I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

Chapter One
The city of your birth awaits your return."
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation
Lauren Willig
I chose this first line as opposed to the first line of the prologue because I liked it better :D I'm interested to see if the recipient actually goes to the city of their birth.
I have this novel (although not with this cover. I just like this one better...lol) on my TBR pile for a couple of reasons. One... there are a lot of book bloggers who are very excited about the release of her newest novel, The Orchid Affair. So, naturally, I'm curious about the entire series and where better to begin then the beginning! Two... I found an almost-pristine copy (probably only read once) at The Friends of the Library for $1.50... ♥ that! So, I'll jump in, at some point, and see what everyone's talking about.

I carried my blue suede hobo bag today. I love wearing this bag when I wear jeans. It looks spot on ... as my Brit friend says :D M was off school today so she, my Mom and I went to the German deli and stocked up! My Mom was born and raised in Bavaria and we were brought up with a love of traditional German foods! After we shopped, we took it all back to my Mom's house and had a fantastic lunch... Alles gut!
I think this is a first (or third...lol) for me. I've published three blog posts today! I hope you're not sick of me! By the way... thanks for reading. I appreciate that you take the time to stop by Bags, Books & Bon Jovi. Speaking of...

Have a Nice Day!

3 comments:
I tried the Willig book, but Amy wasn't working for me as a character. The rest of the gals at Paperbackswap who were reading it together loved it, so I think it's me again :p
The book closest to the PC wins for first line. The Countess Angelique by Sergeanne Golon,
"So we're together, then, he and I!"
This is the fifth or sixth in the series so who know which man she's with now :D
Man, Jon just looks better with age...I just saw some great pics posted on facebook yesterday...love it!
You always find the best books at your library sales Kathy. I just finished the 3rd book in another teen series called Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. My sister Cheryl found them at a local used bookstore for Nicky but I got to read them first. Now I need to find out if the next 3 are out yet or not. So glad to be reading your blog again. I missed your posts.
Post a Comment