Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Academy Awards, Student Drivers & Charming Friends

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this post. I guess I want to get back in the habit of just posting about my life... not just reviews. Although, I love the opportunity to review bags, books and Bon Jovi (the concerts), I really started my blog just to blog about "whatever". So, I guess this is a "whatever" post. Read at your own risk :D


J completed Driver's Education on Saturday and got his Learner's Permit yesterday. Yeah, the DMV on a Monday afternoon is a study in "Hurry up and wait". Thank goodness, I had a great book! We were there for almost two hours. There were quite a few student drivers... even some kids he knew from "school" school and some from driving school. He's only driven in parking lots and a cemetery(I know... lol ... but there's a very large cemetery nearby with lots of "streets" and not much traffic), but he's pretty good. He's driven both my car (Durango) and my husband's car (Subaru Forester). I think my car intimidates him a little. That's okay, though, I like that he's cautious.


I've been seeing a lot of movies, lately... some with friends, but, most by myself. I love going by myself. I have been reading my ereader in the theater before the movie while, usually enjoying a (smuggled-in) coffee drink. I've seen more of the Oscar nominated films than I have in previous years. Oh, the picture... just me and the hubby on date night. Don't I wish... ROFL!!!!


Black Swan... I saw it today. It was good, not great. Maybe, I should have seen it before all the hype. I'm like that with books, too. If it gets too much "buzz", I am usually disappointed. The dancing was beautiful but I kept trying to figure it out. I knew there'd be a twist so, I focused on that. And, as creepy as this movie poster, is, I think it's kind of beautiful. Is that weird? I think I could have waited for this one to come to "On Demand" and watched it on my couch.


The Kids Are Alright... My overriding thought about this movie... Mark Ruffalo is kinda hot!


True Grit... Wow! I have to talk about what a great actress Hailee Steinfeld is. I'm so happy that she was nominated. her nomination should have been Best Actress, though... not Supporting Actress. I think she was the star of the movie. Yes, Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon were really good but it would not have been the same without her.

The King's Speech... I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS MOVIE!! Seriously, it's now one of my all-time favorite movies. It deserves every accolade it receives and every award for which it is nominated!! Have you seen it? Did you love it? If you haven't seen it... what are you waiting for?!? See it tomorrow!!! Honestly, it's so wonderful! I loved the relationship between Bertie and Lionel. And to know that it's a true story, makes it just that much better! I'm not giving anything away... so, no worries... you know the speech at the end of the film... well, there's actual audio of it! Listen to it and you'll appreciate the film even more.

I'm meeting a friend tomorrow for shopping and dinner. There's a store that I've just recently heard about. It's Charming Charlie! What a fun name for a store. It's all accessories... jewelry, scarves and, of course... bags!!! I am so excited to shop there with one of my closest friends then enjoy a great meal and even better conversation!


I carried my new Sydney Love tote today. It was the perfect "partner-in-crime" bag as I smuggled my coffee into the movie. It has a flat bottom so my drink didn't spill. I'll have to use it again the next time I see a movie :D

4 comments:

Teresa said...

You are so right, Mark Ruffalo is kinda hot. I just had a conversation with another blogger on the very same topic :)

I wondered how you smuggled in coffee. Love it!

Karen in Texas said...

Love your new smuggle bag Kathy. I was wondering how you smuggled coffee in too. LOL. Mark Ruffalo is hot. I think that poster for Black Swan is intriguing sort of darkly beautiful. I don't know that if it was a book cover if I'd pick up the book to read or not. I really, really want to see True Grit. My sister Kelly said that it was so good she wanted to see the old John Wayne version. I want to read the book also. I definitely want to see the King's Speech. I love Colin Firth and I think that he pulls of being Bertie wonderfully from what I've seen of the previews. I'm way behind on movies and now that we have a new toy I doubt I'll be going out anytime soon to see any. Hopefully I'll get to see them on the movie channels though. Hope you have a great time with your friend today and find another smuggable bag too.

bermudaonion said...

Black Swan has grown on me as I've pondered over it. My friend and I wanted to see The Kids are Alright, but it left our theater before we had the chance.

Kathy said...

^^ The Kids are Alright was good but it will be just as good at home on Netflix as it's a character-driven movie. It doesn't really need to be seen in a theater, KWIM.