

From the author's website... "An ambitious captain, a beguiling outcast, and
a mysterious gatehouse...
Mariah Aubrey lives in seclusion in an abandoned gatehouse on a distant relative's estate. There, she supports herself and her loyal servant by writing novels in secret, at a time when novel writing was considered improper and unladylike. When wealthy and ambitious Captain Bryant leases the estate, he is intrigued by the beautiful girl in the gatehouse. Will he risk his plans—and his heart—for a woman shadowed by scandal?"
This is my introduction to Ms. Klassen's novels. I was a bit concerned when I received it right before Christmas. It's almost 400 pages and, like most everybody, I was busy, busy, busy everyday. But, when I sat down to read it, I was pleasantly surprised at what a quick read it was.
While "Regency" romances, aren't usually a genre I read, I enjoyed the time period portrayed in this novel. It's generally considered a very strict social period and it was intriguing to see Mariah Aubrey live within those constraints while really being a woman ahead of her time. I liked that she was a "secret" novelist.
I thought the premise of the scandal that banished (isn't that just a great word?) Mariah to the gatehouse was well thought out and wasn't just a plot device to "get" her there. It was integral to the story as well as shaping Mariah's character. Had it not happened, I think Mariah would not have been so intriguing to Captain Bryant.
I knew the quotes at the beginning of each chapter would relate to the action in that chapter but it was fun when the connection was made. These kinds of details in a novel are something I enjoy. They aren't going to make or break my enjoyment of any book but, I believe, it's the author's (or publishers) way of adding just that extra layer literary element.
Thanks to Bonnie at CFBA and Bethany House for sending me The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen in exchange for my honest and thoughtful review.

2 comments:
Good to see you again Kathy. This book sounds really good. I'm going to have to look for it. I'm not much for Regency romances either but this one sounds like it steps outside that genre a bit. Sounds really intriguing.
I just saw this on another blog and thought it looked good! And I love the pretty cover.
Post a Comment