
... that is the question!
It seems that, at least with the book blogs I read, the beginning of the new year is when most of the reading challenges start. I've never participated in any blog reading challenges. I have noticed, however, a few that interest me.
Why am I hesitant to participate? A few reasons, really. Honestly, failure is an option. I'm afraid that I would not complete the challenge. Yes, I know I won't be graded or thought less of if I don't complete it, but I don't want the sidebar "widget" not to have the "completed" stamp across it. Silly, I know.
I also think that I might focus too much on the challenge books and not read other books... books that just catch my interest. Although I consider myself a fast reader, I definitely don't read as many books as some bloggers. I'd be worried that, if it comes down to it, I might choose a "challenge" book over another book just to try to complete it.
Yes, I know I am really over-thinkng this. I know these reading challenges are meant to have fun with books and blogs. I know no one will quit reading my blog because I might not complete a challenge.
So, after all this... I will, most likely, jump in and participate in at least one reading challenge. I'd love to know your thoughts on blog reading challenges... do you participate? If so, which ones do you join? If you don't participate, why not? do you have the same "concerns" that I do?

5 comments:
I love the challenges! Mainly because it forces me to visit with others. If I didn't visit I'd get lonely & stop blogging - which I need to do in order to track my reading progress. So for me it's a circle of live thing.
I was hesitant also, but I thought what the heck. I chose ones that were fairly open so that anything could apply to them. Plus I am hosting one so that is extra motivation.
I signed up for one challenge and then never followed through. It was a Harry Potter challenge and you could even listen to them. And to this day I can not remember what blog I signed up on for the challenge so I'm a huge failure. LOL I see the challenges and sometimes I think I can do that but I don't sign up, I just do it. For example, I saw a blog somewhere doing a New Author type challenge. Well, I decided to just do it, and I did, I've read 3 new authors that I've never read before and always wanted to. yeah me!
You should only do a challenge that you are already interested in. That's really the only way to ensure that you won't be picking up books just because they fit the challenge.
That said, I do support challenges. It's a way to set goals and experience reading from a slightly different perspective.
Hopping through. New follower!
I'm not a big challenge person but they can be fun. I'm doing the Debut Author Challenge and the Historical Fiction Challenge this year.
My Hop
Post a Comment