Friday, March 13, 2009

Historical Figures at our House


I'm reading the new Jeffrey Archer (love him!) novel. It's a novel based on the life of George Mallory titled Paths of Glory. He may have been the first man to summit Everest in 1924. According to many sources, Mallory is famously said to have replied to the question "why do you want to climb Mt. Everest?" with the retort: "because it is there", which has been called "the most famous four words in mountaineering". There is compelling evidence even though it is generally thought that Sir Edmund Hillary summited first in 1953. Even though, I know the outcome and next to nothing about mountaineering, it's an interesting read. I'm sure it's a combination of George's compelling story and Archer's writing talent.


M is studying the Pilgrims at school. She was assigned to "be" Elizabeth Tilley. While she is studying the Pilgrims, she has to behave as if she is Elizabeth and interact with her classmates as the Pilgrims they are assigned. To that end, she has asked us to please call her Elizabeth :o) Elizabeth was actually a name I thought about naming her so I'm doing it. Although, because I wanted to call her Libby, I'm using that nickname. She tends to leave me notes detailing "instructions" for her morning routine...what outfit she has chosen, what time she'd like to be woken up, etc. So, now she signs them "Elizabeth Tilley". She drew a picture for me tonight and signed it as her alter ego.


I carried a Paisley laptop bag today. I don't have a laptop but it's a great size bag. It came with a zippered patent "sleeve" that attaches to the bag. I put my wallet and keys in it. I even thought about using it as a clutch.

1 comment:

Lori said...

That's really neat that "Elizabeth" is doing this! Sounds like a really cool project.

Cool bag too!