Thursday, April 7, 2011

Finally... First Line Friday!


I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

"It was probably a heart attack."
A Graceful Death
Ann Summerville


What a fabulous first line! This is a murder mystery, so we all know it wasn't a heart attack! What was it? And who was the victim? Well, I can't tell you that, now, can I? But, I am going to tell you that I will be reviewing this mystery very soon. Okay, so, technically, it's not from my TBR pile. It's my RRN (reading right now) book.

Back to that first line... I was hooked. I love first lines that launch the story. No hemming & hawing... you open the book and are caught up in the mystery.

Wow, it's been a while since I've written a First Line Friday! Every Friday, I have the best of intentions. I plan to write it. I choose the book, even and then... it's Saturday, then Sunday and my great intentions have to wait a little while longer. But, here it is, Thursday and I'm writing it! Yay, me...lol!


It's also been a while since I wrote about my purses. I met two friends for coffee this morning. Our kids went to the same elementary school. But, since J & M don't attend the neighborhood schools any more, we've not gotten together as much as we used to. It was so nice to just hang out with I and K and "catch up". I carried my "Rocker Chick" bag. Its chunky silver hardware coordinated well with the "Pucci-esque" tunic I wore. My friend, I, carried a huge coated canvas tote from a little boutique. K carried a white leather Coach bag... perfect for spring!

1 comment:

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Kathy!
I love first lines too! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my "First LInes" today! I expanded my "first line", to First "Lines", because some of the first lines were too tempting and I had to add a bit more to satisfy everyone's hunger ;-)

Suzanne