Friday, May 7, 2010

First Line Friday~

Today is First Line Friday! I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

Prologue~
"One sunny April afternoon in 1990 two Englishmen strode up the steps of London's Tate Gallery, passed beneath the imposing statues atop the pediment-Britannia, the lion, and the unicorn-and made their way through the grand portico into one of the world's great museums."

PROVENANCE
How a Con Man and a Forger Rewrote the History of Modern Art
Laney Salisbury and Aly Sujo


Even though this first line is fairly straight-forward and the "wow factor" is not really there, I really like it. This book is an "extraordinary narrative of one of the most far-reaching and elaborate decptions in art history."... taken from the book jacket... so, it really sets the scene. I wonder, though, are they in the Tate to scout new pieces to forge or maybe they are there to view one of their pieces that is in the Gallery and believed to be authentic.

I love "heist" novels and movies.. if you have not read "Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less" by Jeffrey Archer or seen "Ocean's Eleven", you must! This book will definitely be interesting, especially because it's a true story. I love the "cat and mouse" aspect of the story.

Provenance was recommended to me by my friend, A. I think I've mentioned her before. We've recently met and are becoming great friends. Our oldest kids are in the same grade and will attend the same "Plan A" high school. Our youngest kids are also in the same grade and will also attend the same middle school. We have already made tentative plans to carpool. Her oldest daughter has the same name as M. It's even spelled the same way. Oh, and probably best of all... she loves handbags!

She introduced me to her neighbor, P. P's daughter will go to middle school with M and A's son... another carpool driver...yay! I ran into P at Barnes & Noble when I had book club on Tuesday. We discussed my mystery book club and she also loves mysteries. She was reading a Denise Mina novel. I invited her to come next month. I don't know that she will but, I think she'd enjoy it.

I carried three purses today... at different times, of course. To work, I carried a black faux croc shoulder bag with lots of zippers. I had a few hours after work before I picked up the kids so I went, of course, to the book store. Because I changed my clothes, I changed bags. I carried my blue faux suede hobo bag that I bought at Target for "a song"... as my grandmother was fond of saying. We went to Red Lobster tonight and I carried, yet another purse. This time it was a Dooney and Bourke satchel. I'm only posting two pictures because I'm tired and I don't have the energy to get the first bag and take a picture. Lazy, I know... sorry! I have pictures of the other two saved on my computer.


Speaking of bags... as I sit here, I'm watching Friends (which I LOVE!). It's the episode where Joey carries a bag... I knew I loved him!

2 comments:

Misfit said...

I have to say, I can't imagine ever changing bags that many times in a day, let alone a week :)

"Elena clutched her distended belly and tried not to cry out."

Watermark by Vanitha Sankaran. I'm thinking this person is very very pregnant.

Kathy said...

It's really not that bad... lol. I'm very organized...everything is in a cute "cosmetic" bag. So, it's really just my wallet, my day planner, keys, sunglasses, cell phone and the bag. Really, it takes less than a minute. It's like changing earrings.

Sounds like she's pregnant to me, too.