
I know I'm a day late but Friday "got away" from me... as they say and I went to bed early. So, for those of you who were waiting for First Line Friday...lol... here it is...
I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.
Prologue
1884
"The ship's deck rolled under his feet and he widened his stance to protect his balance and the toddler in his arms."
The Lightkeeper's Daughter
Colleen Coble

This is a pretty straight-forward first line until I read about the toddler in his arms. I assume the toddler will grow up to become the main character but, it also entered my mind, I guess because I read so many mysteries, that, maybe, that toddler will be a long-lost relative of the main character. Who knows? That's what I love about first lines... you just never know where they are going to take you!
This book is a library book that drew me in because of the cover. I know I'm not supposed to judge a book.... but, honestly, I do! I'm pretty positive that most readers do, too or all the books would have black covers. Covers, like this, with a woman wearing a beautiful dress are, I think, a trend in book covers right now. I see a lot of them. Not that it's a bad thing... it obviously works. I know there are novels that I have either checked out at the library or purchased at a bookstore because of the cover. That's not to say that the cover was the only reason I picked it up. Of course not. Had there been a different cover, especially one without a woman in a beautiful dress, I may have not even looked twice at the book.

My bag today (Saturday) was my Dooney & Bourke Medallion satchel. It was our first real taste of summer... the high was 89°. It was heavenly! I wore a black shirt that has multi-colored threads woven through it. The satchel is a perfect complement to that shirt as the bag is multi-colored as well. Pair it with beaded earrings and bracelets, it's one of my most favorite outfits. I wore black capris with it to work today but when I wear it with white walking shorts, I think I look great... even if I do say so myself :o)

3 comments:
Very intriguing first line Kathy. I thought maybe the toddler got lost overboard and maybe turns up years later. Strange where the mind goes isn't it? I know you read mostly mysteries and that's probably why I went there first. LOL. I've picked books for the cover too. Most of the time they turn out to be really good reads but every once in a while there's a dud or two in the bunch.
Great thought, Karen! I didn't even think that... intriguing! i guess I'll find out soon enough.
I LOVE that line.
Thank you SO much for stopping by Tales of Whimsy...
Your comment totally cracked me up. I SO should have dumped chick-lit on a post-it. Brilliant idea and reference :)
Post a Comment