Today is First Line Friday! I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too."Major Pettigrew was still upset about the phone call from his brother's wife and so he answered the doorbell without thinking."
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Helen Simonson
I found this video of the author reading the first line! How very cool is that?!? I have to say that the first line is fairly utilitarian. It sets the scene but doesn't do much else. That's okay, though... not every first line needs to be amazing. Sometimes, the first line is amazing and the rest of the book... not so much. With this novel, I have a feeling the entire book will be great. I have heard so many positive things about it. Have you read it? I'd love to know your thoughts.

The book is from the library and has been in my TBR pile for a few days. Every time I've looked at the cover, I've seen a coat rack with coats and hats hanging from it. Tonight, though, when I pulled it out to do First Line Friday, I saw it differently. I saw a man and a woman kissing. Now, that's all I can see. Of course, I still see the coat rack but I focus on the kiss. I know it's a love story so it's a clever cover. What do you see on the cover?

Have you read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson? We chose it at book club last night. I think we might be the last ones to read it. I tried to put it on hold at my library but there were 320 holds on 70 copies. I guess I have an excuse to go to the bookstore tomorrow. Yeash, like I need one :o)

My bag today was my Coach Sabrina. It was a pretty low-key day. I watched Survivor on demand since I missed it last night. How can those people not band together and vote off Russell?!? If he wins, I will never watch it again!!! Not really... it's just fun to be a little dramatic. Later, I met some friends at The Elephant Bar for lunch and went to Claire's. It's one of M's favorite stores so I thought I'd see if I could find some trinkets (what a fun, fun word! I should use it more often) for her. It was their 10 for $10 sale. I bought her some cute earrings, hairbands, glittery nail polish and a bandanna to use when she goes to G/T Outdoor Education week. It's a bright turquoise so she can't get lost in the mountains if she's wearing it :o)

6 comments:
I always include the first sentence of a book in my book reviews - I too think you can tell a lot by those first few words.
Just listening to Meat Loaf's Hang Cool Teddy Bear Cd - I didn't know Bon Jovi wrote songs as well, I'm impressed.
My last book had a killer first line: "They're all dead!" (from Bridge to Love by Darlene Franklin)
My favorite first line: "Bitter February, within and without" from Bolt by Dick Francis. It sets the mood of the book perfectly.
And I had to laugh the first time I realized the classic A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle starts with "It was a dark and stormy night."
Two more from my TBR pile:"Red? Have you no shame, Auntie Vic? You can't be buried in a scarlet gown." from A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer.
"Curling her fingers around the leather handle of the battered carpetbag that held her carefully selected belongings, Tressa Neill fell in line behind the tittering row of young women disembarking the train." from A Hopeful Heart by Kim Vogel Sawyer.
Fun topic! Thanks for visiting my blog.
And, hey, I REALLY wanted one of the "heroes" to win. Of the villains, I'd like Sandra to win, but ... doubt she will.
Maybe they keep Russell around thinking people won't vote for him, he's so miserable.
I read Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and I really liked it. Almost everyone who has read it says it's a slow starter. You have to work to get past the first 100 pages or so, but after that it is so good it's worth the effort. Have fun with it!
Hey there,
I stumbled upon your blog through the Friday blog hop - came from "As I turn the pages"
I love the idea of sharing first lines! This is something I always think about when starting a new book!
The book I have sitting next to me right now starts with "The kitchen was filled with the smells of baking." The book is Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy, perhaps it's not great lit but I enjoy her books.
When I think of first lines I always think of Pride and Prejudice which starts, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." Love it :)
Hot bag! I keep hearing great things about that book.
Side bar note: Ahhhhhhhhhh Cary Grant! Be still my heart.
Post a Comment