
We received a note in M's Friday Folder that her elementary school will finally have a new Principal starting next year. We've been subjected to a "lame duck" principal for two school years and, believe me, the school has suffered because of her. There is, literally, not one nice thing I can say about her. GOOD RIDDANCE!!!
Our new principal is the current assistant principal at a nearby junior/senior high school. This school has an exemplary reputation and has to hold a lottery because so many people want their children to attend. It was also recently in the news as the best school in Colorado. So, his reputation proceeds him. I hope he'll do good for our school. Even though M will only be there for his first year, it's a neighborhood school so, even without students in the school, we are still "invested".
I was on the selection committee last year and it was, truly, an invaluable experience. We interviewed ten candidates, asking them the same prepared questions. It was eye-opening to say the least. There were candidates that were so underqualified, I felt everyone's time was being wasted. There were also candidates, that while qualified, just weren't the right fit for our school. In the end, the committee could not recommend any candidate and the Community Superintendent decided to offer the position to a candidate that the we (the other parent representative on the committee and I) called Howdy Doody. We were beyond furious! Of all the candidates, he was ABSOLUTELY the worst possible fit for our school. Needles to say, we "sprang into action". We voiced our strong dissatisfaction not only to the CS, but to the Superintendant of the district. We were told that we would have the opportunity to speak to him again and question him but the offer had already been accepted. We came prepared with a list of questions specific to our school and his vision for it. The phrase "guns blazing" comes to mind :o) The meeting was to start at 8:00am. When he wasn't there at that time, I knew something was up. We were told that he had called the CS that morning and declined the offer. My guess is that he was told that there was very strong opposition to him and that his job wouldn't be as easy as he might have thought it would be. Our school is very highly rated and we wanted a Principal who would not only keep it that way but make it even better. When we were told the news, it took everything I had not to jump for joy!! Even though it meant one more year with idiot Principal, it was worth it not to have Howdy Doody as Principal.
I have high hopes for our new Principal. I truly wish him luck and hope he's exactly what we need.

On a lighter note, I carried a Liz Claiborne black and white cheetah print hobo with deep red patent trim and handles. While it's a little on the "wild" side, I like to wear it when I wear a lot of black. It adds just the right "punch".

No comments:
Post a Comment