Friday, October 30, 2009

First Line Friday


FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?


"Arnold Bacon would have made a fortune if he hadn't taken his father's advice."
Timeo Danaos
Twelve Red Herrings
Jeffrey Archer
This first line is a little different. It's the first line of a short story in a collection I'm reading by Jeffrey Archer.

I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately. Not that I've been reading bad books. On the contrary, actually. It's just that I've not really been a reading mood. What?!? How does that happen? I'm not sure, really. I've just found myself not reading when I normally do... before bed, waiting in carpool and other random times. So, I figured a few short stories might nudge me back. Short stories don't feel like a commitment, you know. I can read one or two before bed and feel a sense of accomplishment.

Jeffrey Archer is a fabulous author! While not great literature, his stories and novels are tightly plotted and well-written. They hold my attention like few other authors and I know I won't be disappointed. I've been reading his novels since, probably, high school and will re-read one every so often. They are as good now as they were the first time I read them. While my favorite is definitely "Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less", I am always amazed at the ending of "First Among Equals". It is beyond brilliant! The last line (and no peeking if you read it!) is perfection!


I carried my Vera Wang black satchel today. It's been two days since I switched bags. How is that even possible?!? Well, we were hit by a fall snowstorm that dumped 22" on us. So, we didn't go anywhere... even school. It was cancelled Wednesday and Thursday. It was a fun few days. We were completely lazy with snow shoveling being our main form of entertainment :o) Tunnels were built in our backyard, courtesy of my son and my daughter drank lots of hot chocolare. But, like any Denver blizzard, it's just a memory... well, except for the piles and piles of snow! I love our blizzards. Twenty-two inches of snow on Wednesday and it'll be 60° tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never read his novels, only the first part of his prison diary, so I'm making a note of your favorite.
I saw the snowstorm on the news. Looks like frun from inside a warm house with hot chocolate :)

Kathy said...

Let me know how you like them!