Friday, October 16, 2009

It's a Footloose First Line Friday


FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"Her satin shoes left damning footprints in the pearlescent dew on the moonlit garden path."
Haunting Jordan
PJ Alderman


I cannot believe how long it's been since I've blogged about First Line Friday. It's about time I get my act together and start doing it again every Friday.

I've already blogged about this book and i'm breaking one of my FLF "rules" as it's no longer in my TBR pile... it's my current book! Anyway, it's a great book and I'm really enjoying the premise even though I'm not normally into "supernatural" mysteries. I'm looking forward to reading other books in this series.

I like how the story is told in both times... 1890 with Hattie and present day with Jordan. I don't feel like I'm missing any of the story and I feel more connected to Hattie, the murder victim. She's a real character not just a plot device. One of my favorite lines, so far, is when Hattie tells Jordan, "We want you to solve my murder." What a great line... even if it isn't a first line :o)

We spent a lazy day around the house today. The kids were off school as it was a teacher comp day for conferences. We needed this day, too. We're all (well not my son) recuperating from being sick. M went to school on Monday but was home the rest of the week. She just had a fever and a dry, tickle cough. No "hiney" flu... we took her to the Dr. and her tests came back negative (as well as any type of flu and pneumonia). My husband is fighting the same crap (sorry to be so crude but, really, that's the best word for it). He was also tested and was also negative to the flu. So, we just took it easy today. We watched Footloose tonight. What a movie to bring back memories! J and I saw it on one of our first dates. It definitely holds a special place in my heart. As much as everyone remembers the "Footloose" song, my favorite song from the movie is Deniece Williams' "Let's Hear it for the Boy". Why? Because it's one of our "songs". When I first heard it, the lyrics reminded me so much of this great guy that I had just started dating. Did I know he would become the love of my life, my husband, my best friend and the father of my children? Yeah...I did. We double-dated on our first date with my friend, D, and I told her that I would marry him. Just about four years later, I did!

Anyway, here's the original video...if it doesn't make you want to throw your hair in a side pony, wear a neon sweatshirt and leggings with stiletto heeels with baby doll socks... you weren't an 80s girl like me.

3 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Love the story about you & hubby. =)

Misfit said...

Oh those 80's, although the 70's were something as well :)

This Side of Glory by Gwen Bristow and via ILL courtesy of the Seaside, Oregon Public Library,

"The sky was like thick blue velvet, and the river glittered in the sun."

Anonymous said...

I love the cover of the book. Just from the cover I think I'd like it.

I love this song from Footloose too. It could be my favorite from the movie, but I'd have to see the movie again to be sure. Maybe I could have an 80's movie marathon?

Hope your family is all healed up :)