Friday, August 28, 2009

First Line Friday


FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"1874~Colorado Territory
The stench of death hung in the air, molded, gray, dank rotting."
Meggie's Remains
Joanne Sundell

This first line is very descriptive... almost too much so. Not in a bad way, though. It throws me right into Meggie's dream. I'm wondering if it's really a dream or a flashback remembered in her dream.

Wow, it's been two weeks since I last blogged. School started for J and M. They just finished their first week. It was great but already...a lot of homework. Tomorrow is M's 11th birthday. She is foregoing a party. Instead, she is going to a movie and lunch with her BFF. She's so grown-up... that's exactly the way I like to spend my birthday. Although, their choice of movie wouldn't be mine...but then, I'm not a sixth grade girl.


My bag today was a white bag. I still follow the "No White after Labor Day" rule, so I've been wearing a lot of my white bags. I know it's silly but I just can't seem to wear white comfortably after that day...even if Stacy and Clinton say it's OK.

3 comments:

Misfit said...

Wondered where you've been? Is your book a mystery or a historical?

The Arm and the Darkness by Taylor Caldwell. Haven't read her in years.

"The tumultuous storm had passed over Paris, and behind it there came a hollow silence, in which there were no echoes."

Anonymous said...

I think if Stacy and Clinton say it's okay....I do wear white after Labor Day. If I like it, why not? I did not get this from my mother. She is very much in your camp.

Kathy said...

Misfit~

It's a historical romantic suspense.

You find the greatest books. I remember reading Taylor Caldwell in HS.