Friday, August 7, 2009

First Line Friday & Handbag Genius


FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
"I was arrested in Eno's Diner."
Killing Floor
Lee Child
That is a perfect first line. Short, to the point and really creates anticipation as to what happens next. It also says, to me, something about the narrator. He is a no-nonsense man who gets right to the point. I can truly appreciates first lines that meander... with a enough description to fill a paragraph. However, reading a first line like that is a pleasure, as well. Several of the author blurbs on the back actually mention the first line and first scene.

This book is our November book club choice, so it's actually pretty far down in my TBR pile. Like I said before, some book club books are out of my comfort zone. This is definitely another one. I would not have chosen this if I was browsing at Barnes & Noble.


My bag today was my Liz Claiborne cheetah print bag with red patent handles. I wore black, white and red and it set the bag off perfectly. There is a zippered divider pocket in the bag that always fall down... drives me crazy! Today, I put my planner in it to hold it up. I'm a genius! It worked... the bag stayed divided. Wow...I'm sure MENSA will want me now... NOT!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That one was short and to the point. I'd never be able to manage with a book club, I must stay within my genres/comfort zone.

"To travelers destined to die at the hands of bandits, death came silently in fifteenth century France.

The Burnished Blade by Lawrence Schoonover.

Lori said...

The bag I'm using now has that middle pocket thing and that drives me insane! I never thought of putting the planner in there though! Genius!!!! Of course you tell me today when I've decided to change my pocketbook. LOL

I've never read a Lee Childs book either. I'm interested in seeing your review of it.

Kathy said...

Misfit~
Start your own book club and only read the genre you love :o)
I am so happy I found your blog. You have showcased some really unique books. I just googled The Burnished Blade... interesting cover art, definitely.

Lori~
i found the if I put the planner in length-wise, it worked perfectly.

Jo-Jo said...

This is probably a book that I wouldn't have picked either. One of my favorite things about my book club is that quite often we read books that we wouldn't have even considered, and end up loving them!

Karen in Texas said...

You always have the most amazing book finds Kathy.

Anonymous said...

This one is on my wish list because I have several others of this series on my shelves already.

Loved visiting your neck of the woods :) Beautiful.