
I LOVE Teaser Tuesday.
Grab your current read.
Let the book fall open to a random page.
Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
"They talk for ten more minutes, interrupted only by the woman getting up put more quarters in her dryer. Finally they finish, and the woman gathers up her papers before retrieving her clothes."
page 40
New Tricks
David Rosenfelt

These setences touch on one if the funniest parts of this series. Andy's friend, Kevin, runs a combination laundromat/legal aid. It's called The Lawdromat.
This is the latest in the Andy Carpenter series. He is a New Jersey lawyer who inherited a subsrantial fortune from his father. As a result of that, he can pick and choose which cases he takes. Dogs, especially Andy's Golden Retriever Tara, play a significant role an each novel. I'm a cat person (we have three) and like dogs when they're someone else's so I was surprised how much I enjoy these books. I think it goes beyond the dog. It's really about being an animal lover. These novels are also just really good mysteries. My favorite thing, though, is Andy. The stories are told in first person and in a very conversational way. While the author is great at setting scenes and creating dialogue, it's Andy's voice that is at the heart of the novel. He is witty, wry, clever and very smart.
Today was Registration for J & M. They will be in 8th and 6th grade, respectively. We went to J's school first. He wasn't even with us as he didn't feel so great. It started at 11am and we showed up at 10:45 and were probably sixth in line. Not bad... considering when we left, there were probably 75 families in line. It's a small school so I'm hoping that when we go back tomorrow to get J's picture taken, we won't have to wait too long.
M's Registration was a fiasco! I'm not sure why, though, nothing changed from years before. The line to pay fees was at least a half hour long. "I should have paid online" was something I heard several times and something I thought, too. I was helping at the PTA table so I made M stand in line. She had a great time because some of her friends were with her. She really wanted Mr. A. He's the only male teacher (besides the PE teacher) in the school and he's very cool! J was in his class two years ago and it was the best experience! Mr. A had told me that he was pretty sure he'd have M in his class as the school tries to put siblings with the same teachers if it's a good fit and with M... it's a great fit. She was so excited. She was on the phone all evening with her friends discussing who is in which teacher's class. One of M's friends, H, is having a hissy fit because she's not in Mr. A's class with M and some other girls. Apparently, her Mom will be calling the school tomorrow to try to switch her into that class. Good luck! Our school is very strict on changing student's class assignment. There has to be a very valid reason and H's hissy fit isn't one. I'd be very surprised if they change it. The sixth grade is set up so that they change classrooms for Math, Social Studies, Science in order to get them prepared for middle school. So, H will see all theses girls, anyway. M even told me that she gave H seven reasons not to switch classes... not because she doesn't want H in her class but because M's a little politician and is trying to be diplomatic :o)

Because I had so many registration papers, a water bottle and, of course, my book, I carried my huge black woven tote. It's large enough to carry it all and still fit over my shoulder.

No comments:
Post a Comment