Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Greatest Love on Earth by Mary Ellen Dennis


From the author's website... "Set against the exotic world of an 1875 circus and the high-society milieu of Denver, Colorado, Mary Ellen Dennis's THE GREATEST LOVE ON EARTH sweeps readers into a story of death-defying feats, dangerous rivalries, and a love that has all the thrills and romance of the greatest show on earth.
Bold, beautiful Calliope Kelley has two passions in life: her father's circus and Brian O'Connor, and she just may lose them both. For years she has singlehandedly struggled to keep the Sean Kelley Circus going. Then Brian O'Connor, the daredevil animal trainer Calliope has adored since childhood, returns to the circus, having found everything a man can want... except the right woman.
Soon their passion will explode under the Big Top. Soon a deadly enemy will begin sabotaging Calliope's beloved circus. As terror becomes the star attraction, it will take a woman's indomitable dreams and a man's enduring love to survive and triumph over the most impossible odds of all."

Well, I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this novel. Was it a mystery, was it a love story, was it the "circus" aspect going to take away from the plot? I took a chance and was, very happily, intrigued and engaged from the first line! Ms. Dennis has written a story that incorporates all three into a tight story that I read in just a few nights. It was one that I couldn't wait to get back to.... which is saying a lot right now... we are in the midst of the first weeks back to school.

I was surprised to be taken back to 19th century Denver. Many of the events, places and people of my town (albeit WAY before my time)... I know well. It made the story come alive that much more. I look forward to reading the other novel set in Colorado that Ms. Dennis has written. She does Colorado proud!

Thanks to Sourcebooks for providing a copy of The Greatest Love on Earth in exchange for this review.

No comments: