Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Venetia by Georgette Heyer


From Wikipedia... "Venetia Lanyon grew up in the country, away from the world with only her younger brother Aubrey, bookish and lamed, for company. Her peace and quiet is one day disturbed by the rakish Lord Damerel. At first, she sensibly keeps away from him for his very discourteous treatment of her, but when Lord Damerel finds an injured Aubrey and not only takes him into his home to recover but also treats him with great kindness, she revises her first opinion of him and they soon become the best of friends. When Venetia and Lord Damerel fall in love, however, Damerel is convinced that marriage with him would cause Venetia's social ruin. Venetia disagrees, and sets about creating her own happy ending."


Today is the 109th anniversary of Georgette Heyer's birth. She was born on August 16th, 1902.I thought it was the perfect day to review Venetia. Happy Birthday, Georgette!

I didn't begin to read romance novels until I was in college and I can pretty much say for certain that, until very recently, I had never read anything by Georgette Heyer. I have since read two... Cotillion and, now... Venetia.

It is a wonderful story whose characters, settings and, most importantly, dialogue combine to create such a well-crafted story. It took me by surprise that I read it so quickly. I was just drawn in. Venetia (as well as Cotillion) not only entertained but enlightened me. Most regency romance novels seem to focus on the "glittering" side of the era... the balls, the gowns and the societal "obligations". Venetia goes beyond that with a story that captured all that as well as an intimate story about a young woman coming to terms with her "lot" and doing what she can to rise above it.

I just loved that there was a character named Jasper. I adore that name! I will, someday, have a cat with that moniker. And, with said feline, I will be curled in chair reading one of the many novels that Georgette Heyer wrote.

I'm not the only one celebrating her birthday. Sourcebooks (who sent me a copy of Venetia in exchange for for this review) is offering many of Georgette Heyer's novel (in ebook form) for just $1.99... just click on this link... http://www.sourcebooks.com/readers/casavip/happy-birthday-ms-heyer.html

Happy Birthday, Georgette Heyer, Queen of the Regency Romance!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still have her first book sitting on my shelf. If only I could find a way to read 24 hours a day ;)
I miss seeing your bags!