
From Christian Fiction Blog Alliance website... "A thrilling romantic mystery set in the lush Victorian age.
Central Operator Katie Russell's inquisitive ways have just uncovered her parents' plan for her marriage to wealthy bachelor Bartholomew Foster. Her heart is unmoved, but she knows the match will bring her family status and respectability.
Then Katie overhears a phone conversation that makes her uneasy and asks authorities to investigate. But the caller is nowhere to be found. Mysterious connections arise between the caller and a ship lost at sea.
Against propriety, Katie questions the new lighthouse keeper, Will Jesperson. Then a smallpox epidemic forces their quarantine in his lighthouse. Though of low social status, Will's bravery and kindness remove Katie's suspicion and win her love. Katie and Will together work to solve the mystery of the missing girl and the lost ship as God gives the couple the desire of their hearts."
This novel is, at its heart, a mystery with strong Christian characters. It has everything a good mystery should have... an intriguing puzzle, red herrings, twists & turns, heroes & villians, and, most importantly... a satisfying conclusion. It would have read well without the faith-based characters and situations. But, Ms. Coble used faith in this novel to enhance and soldify the characters' motivations and actions.
As much as I enjoyed the mystery, it is the relationships between the three main characters... Will, Katie and Jennie (yes...Jennie!) that I believe is the heart of the story and what kept me reading. Yes, we all know. going in, how these novels will end so it's really not about getting to "the end"... it's about watching Katie and Will make that journey and how God lights their way.
I also read the first in Ms. Coble's series, The Lightkeeper's Daughter and loved it. So, I was so excited to be given the chance to read and review the latest in The Mercy Falls series. I was also excited to turn the last page of the novel and see that the next book, The Lightkeeper's Ball will be released in January 2011. I will, most definitely, read it and hope it' not the conclusion of this well-written Christian historical mystery series.
~~I received The Lightkeeper's Bride from Thomas Nelson Publishers and Bonnie from The Christian Fiction Blog Alliance in exchange for an honest and thoughtful review.~~


No comments:
Post a Comment