Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Good Old Days



I was flipping through the channels yesterday and saw this documentary on Turner Classic Movie channel. It is a "travelogue" of sorts of 1949 New York City. I LOVE classic movies but to see the real thing was truly fascinating. My favorite... the clothing. People just dressed better back then. Women were wearing dresses, gloves and hats. Men were in suits and Fedoras. While I appreciate casual attire, it saddens me a bit how our society has devolved (yes, it's a word. I looked it up) in terms of what's considered appropriate public attire. I'm not saying that I want to wear a hat and gloves when I'm at the grocery store, although, I distinctly remember my grandmother wearing both to church every Sunday, I do not ever care to see a pair of underwear hanging out of a pair of pants. Can someone please tell me who decided that pajama pants should be worn at Target? I LOVE pajama pants!! I have probably five pairs and I change into a pair as soon as I get home but, I won't ever wear them in public. With my luck, I'd wear them to drop M at school and, on that day, have to go into the school for some unexpected reason! Yes, I know I'm very old-fashioned but, really... watch this video and appreciate their style.

Today, we celebrated my sister's birthday. My mom always makes the dinner of choice for whoever is celebrating their birthday. K's choice? Breakfast for dinner!! We had pancakes, eggs, sausage, toast, bacon and OJ! Breakfast for dinner ROCKS!! It's a mix of comfort food and breaking the rules, I think, that make it so much fun. My Dad would always make it for us when my Mom was not home for dinner.

I carried my zebra tote today. Sometimes, I wish I designed handbags... as I would never use a black fabric for the lining. It's such a pain to try to find anything in the black abyss that is some of my bags. I would line all my bags in a bright purple Pucci-esque print.

3 comments:

Karen in Texas said...

You just brought back a flood of memories Kathy. I remember my Mom (yes I'm that old) putting on a garter belt and hose and dressing up to go to the doctors office. Sounds like a wonderful birthday party for your sister too. I love breakfast for dinner too. Oh and you definitely should design handbags. I'd buy one.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I don't wear PJ pants out and about, either. I just can't do it. I have worn them to pick up the kids as long as I'm staying in the car, but like you, I worry that on that ONE day, I'd have to get out for some reason so I very rarely do that.
I love that your mom still fixes the dinner of choice on the adult kids' birthdays. I do that for my kids and I'd love to continue it on into their adulthood!

Anonymous said...

Wish I had time to watch the video. I'll mark it and come back :) I love hats, not so much gloves.
We love breakfast for dinner. As a matter of fact that sounds good for tonight :)