Thursday, February 2, 2012

Nickels by Karen Baney


"This contemporary romance takes readers on a journey filled with laughter and tears. Set in the Phoenix Metro Area of Arizona, the story follows the life of Niki Turner and Kyle Jacobs... Niki Turner has finally arrived. Her career as a Software Engineer is soaring—she has just been offered the company’s most sought after account, Helitronics. Life would be perfect, if she could stop her roommate from playing matchmaker.
Then Kyle Jacobs mysteriously re-enters her life. As painful memories resurface, his presence turns her life upside down and threatens to waylay her career. She must find a way to work with him—after all, he’s the helicopter flight consultant for the new flight control system she’s coding.
Can she forget the past and see him as the new man he has become? Or will her resentment keep her from finding what she has always been searching for?"

As a lifelong reader, I've always been thankful that authors put pen to paper... okay, I guess now it's fingers to keyboard... and share their stories. It's truly amazing to me that authors can craft stories, create settings, imagine characters who take me away to their world. However, to find an author who can do all that and do it in a historical setting as well as a contemporary one... well, that makes this reader VERY happy!

Karen Baney was known to me a historical fiction author. I love her writing style but, really, it's the characters she creates that make her novels special. With her newest release, Nickels, she proves to her readers that she is as comfortable creating a contemporary novel as she is her wonderful historicals.

The story reads true. One of my huge peeves in contemporary novels is dialogue that doesn't sound like something someone I know would say. I have been known to actually say lines aloud just to see if they sound "right". Ms. Baney writes dialogue and scenes that are real with characters who struggle with issues that we relate to.

While I really look forward to reading more of Ms. Baney's historicals, I have found that Nickels is a perfect first foray into what I hope are more novels set present day. She has proven that a great story can be set in any era and that a great writer (her!) will always have a fan in me!

~~Thanks to Karen Baney for sending me copy of Nickels in exchange for this review.~~

4 comments:

Dalene @ A Date with a Book said...

I downloaded this free on my Kindle. Thanks for the review, I will move it up on my list. It's also great to know she's written other great books as well. Thanks. New follower :) from the blog hop.

Julie Goucher said...

Just saying hi from the blog hop. Am off to explore your blog further!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Sounds like a good read :) I'm not at all surprised that a historical writer can transfer her skills well to the modern day: it's just another setting to research, and maybe somewhat easier, since you can actually visit!

stacybuckeye said...

It is hard to find an author who can do contemporaries as well as historicals well.