
I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

"Even before it all went bad, she had the feeling it was going to be a rotten day."
The Death Artist
Jonathan Santlofer
This is about as good as a first line can be! Granted, it's a novel of suspense and I know it's going to go bad but to read it in the first line...genius! I just hope the rest of this novel is as well written.
I know this is First Line Friday but I have to talk about this amazing cover! It's beautiful and kind of scary all at once. This book is set in the art world with murders that mimic famous works of art. I'm very intrigued.
I bought this book today at the Friends of the Library book sale. M and I braved the first day crowds and found some great books. As I was looking through the tables, I overheard a woman say to her friend that she would scream with joy if she found the book in hardback. So, I asked her what book. She told me The Stand by Stephen King. I told her I'd look. And, seriously... not five minutes later... I found a withdrawn library copy in a box under the table. I handed it her and, while she didn't scream with joy, she was very happy.
Sunday is $5 a bag day and we'll go back and get enough books to read over the summer... even though I think we're still reading some of the books we bought last year :D

No comments:
Post a Comment