Monday, May 5, 2014
Fortunate Son by David Marlett~~Review
I have always stuck to my "100 pages or I'm out" rule when reading books... even books I am reviewing. I just will not be on this planet long enough to read books that don't capture my imagination.
That said... if every book I read were as textured and well-written as Fortunate Son by David Marlett, I would need to live a lot longer just to read.
I was enthralled from the first sentence... "Lord Arthur Annesley, the sixth Earl of Anglesea, was slopped.". How could I not want to dive into this book?!? I read it in a week... a very busy week, really, but I made time to read because it was plotted so perfectly!
Because it is based in fact, I purposely did not "google" anything about it. I wanted to read from a fresh perspective and not have someone else's writings shade my perspective. Although, after I turned the last page, I did read more about the facts of the case. I could see where Mr. Marlett took those facts and did what a good author does... use them as the basis for a scene but create tension and drama with his imaginative writing style.
One of the draws of Fortunate Son was the courtroom aspect. I love legal dramas! Although I am not as well-versed as I should be on the Irish legal system... especially the historical one presented in this novel, the author wrote enough to inform me about what was going on without it becoming dry and textbook-like. It gave me the basis to read and understand the trial without being lost or overwhelmed in legal jargon.
Without giving anything away, the conclusion perfection... it ended in a way that excited me for his next book, which, according to his author's note, will be another novel centering on a historical trial. I cannot wait to read it!
Thanks to the author, David Marlett and Aaron at The Story Plant for sending me this book in exchange for my review.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment