Friday, June 14, 2013

First Line Friday

Today is First Line Friday! I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog!


"It's been a while, " thought Charles Paris.
A Decent Interval
Simon Brett

Yes, it has! This novel is the latest in one of my favorite mystery series... the Charles Paris series by Simon Brett. The last one was published in 1998... the same year my daughter was born... and she'll be a Sophomore in high school! 

I love this first line and title of the novel as the author knows exactly what his readers are thinking! As a matter of fact, he does, too. It's been a decent interval since Charles Paris has graced my TBR pile! I was surfing the net when I discovered that this book was to be published. 

I started it last night and have to say that the "decent interval" hasn't lessened my love for Charles Paris. As much as I love discovering new authors, there's nothing more satisfying than returning to an old favorite.

I hope Simon Brett has his Charles paris "mojo" back and I don't have to wait so long for the next  mystery!


No comments: