Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Wednesday


It's been a while since I blogged about the randomness that is my life. So, on a lazy Wednesday night, that is what I am going to do :D

The dress code at work has changed. We are now in white tops and blue jeans. While I am truly ecstatic for the jeans, I am not as excited for the white shirts. Since I've been there for almost four years, I have an abundance of black tops (old dress code). With my coloring, I also think I look better in black (as do most women, I believe). I also think black tops with blue jeans is more "sophisticated" as opposed to white tops and jeans. And even though, we wear aprons... white shirt show a lot more dirt. That's not to say we're slovenly. We open freight boxes, we demo lotions, splashes, soaps, etc... it can get messy. At the end of my shift, I always felt better walking out of there in black. But, because I'm so happy about the jeans... I'll live with the white shirts.

I have a wonderful dilemma! I finished a great book last night and need to start a new one tonight. I have about three or four that are on my "short list". I'm still deciding which one but I'm thinking I will read M the first lines of each and see which one she chooses. Don't you just love the anticipation of beginning a new book?!?

I finally firmed up dates to visit Kansas City. My best friend lives there (and I'm from there) and we try to go every summer. So, now the dates are decided and I CANNOT wait. I've known her since high school and she is so wonderful! Her twin boys are J's age and her third son is M's age. She also has two other beautiful children and her husband looks just like Vince Gill.


I am also excited to go to Winsteads in KC. Winsteads is a landmark Kansas City diner... think Arnold's from "Happy Days". My father went there as a teenager... lol. They have the WORLD'S GREATEST onion rings!!! I love them so much that I only eat them there as no other onion rings even remotely compare. Yes, that means I only have onion rings once a year! Their chocolate milkshakes are TDF, too. But, when we're there... we go "gangbusters!! We stop at Winsteads before we even go to E's house. We'll be there five days... we'll eat there at least five times...if not more!! Horrible for my diet, I know... but, I can only do it once a year!

My friend, D, and I met for lunch the other day. Afterwards, we went to TJ Maxx. I love the handbag assortment there. I found two great bags. okay, really... it was the same bag but in two different colors. They were both leopard print but one was brown.black while the second one was black/grey. I could not decide which one I liked better and, because the price was so low... I bought BOTH!! And, I've worn each several times so I really got a great deal. In these pictures, the handles look a little long but, it is truly a handheld bag. It also has a strap so it can be carried on as a shoulder bag. I haven't used it as such but I do let the handle dangle. I like that look.

My mystery book club met last night. We discussed the new Craig Johnson mystery, Hell Is Empty. We are all huge Walt Longmire fans and we are so excited that a series based on these amazing books is coming to A&E this fall. There was even talk, last night, of having a potluck viewing party. I hope that comes to fruition... what fun! I just love the ladies in my book club! Next month, we are reading Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly. We read The Lincoln Lawyer a while back. I liked it... didn't love it. This book teams up two of Connelly's characters... "Lincoln lawyer Mickey Haller and LAPD Detective Harry Bosch team up in Michael Connelly's biggest novel ever.
Things are finally looking up for defense attorney Mickey Haller. After two years of wrong turns, Haller is ready to go back to the courtroom. When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Haller inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent's killer may be coming for him next.
Enter Harry Bosch. Determined to find Vincent's killer, he is not opposed to using Haller as bait. But as danger mounts and the stakes rise, these two loners realize their only choice is to work together.
Have you met Mickey Haller yet? If not, read The Lincoln Lawyer. Do you know his connection to Harry Bosch? If not, read The Black Ice for a reminder." If you've read it, let me know what your thoughts.

2 comments:

Karen in Texas said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip Kathy! Eat some onion rings for me. I hate wearing white shirts too. Thank goodness for the apron you get to wear. Sorry I haven't been around much. Blogger wasn't letting me leave comments but yeah I see its letting me today. :D

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got lots of great eating coming your way! Have fun in KC. Aren't old friends the best?
I've only read The Poet by Connelly but liked it a lot.